What Truck Insurance Do I Need For A New Authority

As you embark on your journey as a new authority, it’s crucial to ensure that your business is adequately protected. One of the key components of safeguarding your venture is having the right truck insurance in place. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the essential truck insurance coverages you need to consider to protect your investment and navigate the roads with confidence.

1. Primary Liability Insurance

Primary liability insurance is a legal requirement for all trucking operations. It provides coverage for bodily injury and property damage that you may cause to others while operating your truck. As a new authority, understanding and meeting the minimum coverage limits mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is essential. Compliance with these regulations is crucial to maintaining your operating authority.

2. Cargo Insurance

Protecting the goods you transport is paramount. Cargo insurance covers the value of the freight you are hauling. Whether you are transporting electronics, perishable goods, or other commodities, having cargo insurance ensures that you are financially protected in the event of theft, damage, or loss during transit.

3. Physical Damage Insurance

Your truck is a significant investment, and physical damage insurance is designed to protect it. This coverage includes both collision and comprehensive insurance, covering damage to your truck resulting from accidents, theft, vandalism, or natural disasters. As a new authority, safeguarding your truck is crucial for the continuity of your business.

4. Non-Trucking Liability Insurance (Bobtail Insurance)

When your truck is not under dispatch or is operating without a trailer (bobtailing), traditional liability insurance may not provide coverage. Non-trucking liability insurance, also known as bobtail insurance, fills this gap, providing coverage for accidents that occur during these non-business-related activities.

5. Trailer Interchange Insurance

If you frequently use trailers owned by others, trailer interchange insurance is a necessity. This coverage protects you in case of damage or loss to a trailer that is not owned by your company while it is in your care, custody, or control.

6. Occupational Accident Insurance

While not a substitute for workers’ compensation, occupational accident insurance provides coverage for medical expenses and lost wages for owner-operators and drivers in the event of an accident. It’s a valuable option for independent contractors looking for financial protection in case of injury on the job.

7. Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability Insurance

This specialized cargo insurance goes beyond basic cargo coverage and provides protection against claims of negligence or errors in the handling of the transported goods. It can be particularly important if you are involved in hauling high-value or specialized cargo.


As a new authority in the trucking industry, investing in the right insurance coverage is vital for the success and longevity of your business. By understanding and selecting the appropriate insurance options, you can navigate the roads with confidence, knowing that you are protected against potential risks. Remember, each trucking operation is unique, so it’s advisable to work closely with an experienced insurance agent to tailor a coverage plan that meets your specific needs. Safe travels on your journey as a new authority!

Please complete the form below for a quote.

Request Your Proposal Here

Are you ready to save time, aggravation, and money? The team at Ameriguard Insurance Agency is here and ready to make the process as painless as possible. We look forward to meeting you!

Call Email Claims Payments